Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Old and the New

 
The 2010 Soccer World Cup is soon to be reality. (I remember when it was announced that SA had been awarded the cup. Quite a few guys contacted me with a "see you here in 2010". Now they've all left... And I might be going back - for a visit at least.)

I'm filled with some kind of nostalgia, I have to admit. I remember vividly the final of the '95 Rugby World Cup. Driving through the streets and having to stop for all the people cheering, dancing and laughing. I don't expect the same thing this time. It's not supposed to be the same, I know.

So, if you'd like, take a moment and reflect on these two videos. One - the new soccer world cup anthem - and the other - a clip from the 1995 world cup with P.J. Powers. I'm guessing if you're over 30 years of age, South African, and you know the smell of dubbin on a leather rugby ball - then the second video will give you goosebumps.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness.
    So many things to look at and weep.First of all- THE SPLENDOUR OF ELLIS PARK. I was watching the lions in their 1st Super 14 game this year when I was in SA and sitting behind the posts you could see the paint peeling off the cross bar where the red and white come together.They could not even get somebody to paint the posts.....? I would have done it for free.That was the picture sent out to the entire rugby world of the once mighty Lions[my team I say with shame today ] at their fortress- Ellis Park. I believe it is not even called that anymore today.

    Talking about the smell of dubbin on a leather rugby ball-also giving your age away- I remember all too well.
    The other smell is DEEP HEAT that is burned into my memory.
    We went camping about a month ago and the one guy who was with me at RES at NKP brought some Deeep Heat for an ache he had. Well,as he opened that tube all sorts of pictures flooded my mind and I heard the words of my 1st team coach all too clear " BLOED OP DIE TOKSE MANNE,EK SOEK BLOED"
    Wow,a nice little walk down memory lane.
    As for now-I better get back to my future lane and back to my studies.This nutrition is much more than just taking in calories I tell you. Lekke reading your blog.Cheers bru

    ReplyDelete