Sunday, February 28, 2010

South African Sago Pudding

 
I don't know what brought this on. But I was filled with huimwee (Did i spell that correctly?) So I turned to food and made some sago pudding. This is an eternal favorite with my sons. And this recipe works well:

South African Baked Sago Pudding Recipe



Ingredients

  • 4 c milk .
  • 1/2 c sugar (extra) .
  • 5 tbsps butter .
  • 5 tbsps apricot jam .
  • 1/2 tsp salt .
  • 4 eggs .
  • 1/2 c sugar .
  • 1 c sago .
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg or cinnamon .
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Directions

  • Step #1 Oven: 325F deg F/160 deg Celsius.
  • Step #2 Grease a large pudding dish lightly.
  • Step #3 Heat milk to nearly boiling, then add sago, salt, & nutmeg or cinnamon.
  • Step #4 Simmer over very low heat until sago is transparent.
  • Step #5 Add the 1/2 c sugar, butter & vanilla, & stir in the well.
  • Step #6 Remove from heat.
  • Step #7 Separate the eggs, & whisk the yolks.
  • Step #8 Add yolks to the sago mixture, whisk or mix through well, & pour the mixture into the prepared oven dish.
  • Step #9 Put blobs of the apricot jam all over the pudding mixture.
  • Step #10 Whisk the egg whites until stiff, & add the extra 1/2 c sugar slowly, whisking until incorporated.
  • Step #11 Spread this meringue over the sago pudding.
  • Step #12 Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 - 45 mins, until set, & the meringue is light brown on top.
  • Step #13 Serve hot, warm or cold.
  • Enjoy the South African Baked Sago Pudding recipe
Okay..., I copied it from here.

I think I am going to arm myself with a single malt and watch District 9 one more time. Just to hear those guys swear.

My wife says the soldiers look more more intimidating than any American actors she's ever seen. I replied that it's our European heritage tied in with lots of brandy and coke...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment